Friday, June 13, 2014

Dimensional Blobby Flowers Tutorial with Maureen

 
Hello Bloggers, I have a FIRST for you today. I have never done an on-line tutorial, so don't be too critical, as I am a beginner. I teach Copic coloring and do many tutorials, but mainly color lists and photo, to follow along with my verbal instruction in my classes, so bear with me in my first endeavor.

I'll start out with a picture of my completed project. I think it has a Victorian flair. The Graphic 45 Ladies Dairy collection was my starting point for my flowers and it sort of took flight from there.
 I'll list the other elements in my completed card before I get started on the tutorial.
I used the CLR027C Scalloped Oval 4 Floral for my oval, butterflies, & sentiment.
The D044 Heart Oval Die, cut twice, snipped in half & positioned to make the background for my sentiment, and the new D045 Flourish to pick up some of the color in my flowers. The little leaves are from Cheery Lynn. I Love dimension on my cards and usually have layered flowers, use lots of pop-up foam dots, etc. So this idea was stemmed from that need.
 
Dimensional Blobby Flowers Tutorial
 
1. Using the D015 Blobby Flowers Die from Prickley Pear,  cut shapes from any designer paper you choose. You can also do this technique with regular cardstock and the matching stamp set  CLR015A Blobby Flowers 2. You will need one of each size for the larger flowers, and one each of the two smaller shapes for the medium flowers.
      When cutting the smaller flowers that require only two of the shapes in the die I mark off the area by taping the back of the die with scotch tape & line it up to the edge of the paper as shown here.
 
 
2. After all the shapes that you need for the number of flowers you want to add to your project, you will need to ink the edges of the petals on the opposite side of what you want the front of your flowers to be.
 
 
3. After inking the edges you will need to curl them with a tweezers. The inked edges up over the side of the petals you want to be the top side of your flowers. I even used the tiny dots to use for fill in buds.
 
4. After curling the edges you need poke holes in the center of the petals so as to add a brad. If you choose to use a pearl, or rhinestone, button, etc., you can skip this step.
5. The next step is to curl and shape the petals by using a stylus as shown. I have a tendency to push too hard and tear the paper, so be careful!
 
6. The next step is to stack your petals, large, medium, small, in that order and add your brad to the center to hold them all together. If you are not using brads you can put a drop of glue in between the layers and your pearl or rhinestone in the center. You may have to fluff up your petals a little after inserting the brad. You can re-curl the tips with the tweezers or squish them with your fingers.
 
I chose to add a little Distress Stickles Dry Glitter in the Clear Rock Candy by painting on a bit of white glue and sprinkling with glitter. Love the sparkle without being too obvious.
 
Thanks for joining me and Prickley Pear today for my first on-line tutorial and I hope you try these flowers.
I must say I see now why so may tutorials are videos and that may be in the future for me!
Hugs, Maureen


2 comments:

  1. nice flowers.. thanks for the tutorial.. I was looking for different ways to make paper flowers :)
    Berina
    Moxie Craftie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your taping technique. Often I cut off a flower that I wanted because I don't know how much to have the die onto the paper. Thanks for the tip and I will be using it from now on!!

    ReplyDelete